[f-AA] Re:hangers

John Morgan aeronca@mail.westmont.edu
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 02:09:59 -0500

A complicated multi-faceted issue for sure. I'm on a couple of airport
advisory committees, a land use committee and a hangar sub-committee . . .
no wonder I haven't been flying much lately.

Federally funded airports have a responsibility to serve the public (that'd
be us). In some cases, when private enterprise comes in to build and then
rent out hangars, rents go up and there have even been cases where hangars
are rented for non-aviation purposes.

Since the taxpayers have paid for the airport infrastructure, why should
private enterprise be allowed to directly profit from the "value added" to
their privately held rental property (structures)? When the hangars are
built by local government, rental rates are generally lower - - often lower
than public storage. In cases where there is a mix of both private and
publicly held hangars, the higher private rates can put upward pressure on
the publicly held buildings.

Then there are all manner of reversion clauses, lease terms, use taxes, etc
etc to consider (g)

At Napa, CA, the current policy is for the county to build T hangars and
corporate hangars of 60 X 60 or larger can be built and owned by private
owners.

bumper