[f-AA] ###McDowell Starter###

joeaksa at attglobal.net joeaksa at attglobal.net
Wed Sep 12 06:49:26 PDT 2007

Bob,

We have several (5-7) people on the NAA forum who are actively working on
getting the McDowell Aero Safety Starters working on their airplanes at this time.
This starter was used on various airplanes after WW2 and I have been told that it
was installed on just about every 11AC sold by Aeronca for a long time. Course
about 99% of those were removed to save weight and complexity in the last 70
years.

Might look here for a lot more info:

http://www.joea.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=887&highlight=mcdowell
http://www.joea.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1067&highlight=mcdowell
http://www.joea.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=848&highlight=mcdowell
http://www.joea.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=679&highlight=mcdowell

The hard to find parts other than the starter itself is the notched ring that bolts on
the crankshaft, the plate that the starter itself bolts onto on the front of the engine,
as well as the bracket that mounts on the side and bottom of the engine that guides
the cable assy. We have several people making some of these parts for us so if you
are interested might pop over and give it a look.

The handle in the cockpit is used to simply rotate or spin the prop and thus the
crankshaft past where the impulse on the magnetos fire and if the engine is ready to
start hopefully it will. You have to get the engine "ready to start" by priming it and
rotating it by hand beforehand.

Joe